WELCOME TO THE AMERICAN LEGION

America's Largest Veterans Service Organization

myLegion.org Icon
Social IconsSocial IconsSocial IconsSocial IconsSocial Icons
legion-logo-home.jpg

 

AMERICAN LEGION WENATCHEE WA POST 10 HISTORY

Post Organized

  • Jul 2, 1919

A group of Ex-Service men met for the purpose of formulating a post.  It was moved by W.A. Buttles that the local Chapter be known as the Wenatchee Post until the organization was finally completed when the name could be changed.  

Wenatchee was the 10th post in Washington to receive its charter.  SInce then it has been known as Wenatchee Post No. 10. 

Attached is a list of the men who signed the charter for Wenatchee Post 10.  

(History Written by Raymond Taylor and provided by the Wenatchee Valley Museum & Cultural Center)

 

 

The American Legion Post 10's Charter was established on July 29th, 1919.

(Picture of Charter hanging at the Post was taken by Douglas Gardner)

 

First meeting and Election of Officers

  • Aug 8, 1919

The Charter had arrived and C. Warren Reid had moved that a frame be procured.  The motion carried.

The First Post Officers were elected

C.E. Chase                      Post Commander

Authur Lavell                   Adjutant

Clifford Godfry                 Vice Commander

D.M. Clark                       Finance Officer

LaVerne "Pinky" Kaupp   Historian

(History Written by Raymond Taylor and provided by Wenatchee Valley Museum & Cultural Center)

 

Legion Members Open Liberty Theatre

  • Dec 5, 1919

The Legion members opened the theatre with a home talent production at which seats sold for $1.50 to $5.00.  Gene Crider and C. Warren Reid were stars in the grand opening.

The Post netted $500.00 from this event and received a letter of Thanks from the management. 

(History Written by Raymond Taylor and provided by Wenatchee Valley Museum & Cultural Center)

 

Memorial

  • Jan 1, 1925

A memorial was created to honor those lost between 1917-1919.  The structure was originally placed on the Veterans Memorial Hall site and later moved to Wenatchee Cemetery where it is still located.  Exact dates are still to be determined.